Paul integrates software into textbooks, including
Beer & Johnson Statics/Dynamics, Hibbler Statics/Dynamics, and
Norton Design-of-Machinery and
worked for 3 years as a consulting editor for McGraw-Hill engineering textbooks.
Dr. Mitiguy has
4 textbooks and 23 technical papers and
5 commercial motion-simulation software programs,
translated into 12 languages and used by millions of people worldwide.
Dr. Mitiguy joined
to develop fast, compact, symbolic math -- for calculators to computers.
Dr. Mitiguy specializes in dynamics, motion simulation, symbolic manipulation,
code generation, and control-systems integration and has worked as a consultant for
software, biotechnology, energy, robotics, automotive, aerospace, and litigation companies.
Textbooks by Paul Mitiguy
- Mitiguy, Paul, Dynamics for Mechanical, Aerospace, and Biomechanical Engineers, 1992-2016.
- Mitiguy, Paul, Advanced Dynamics and Motion Simulation, 1992-2016.
- Mitiguy, Paul, Control, Vibration, and Design of Dynamic Systems, 1999-2016.
- Mitiguy, Paul and Woo, Michael, Interactive Physics Curriculum Workbook, (English/Spanish) 2008, 125 pgs.
Technical papers and reports by Paul Mitiguy
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Banerjee, A.K., "A New Energy Integral of the Equations of Motion", in preparation.
- Perkins, Alexander, Abdallah, Muhammad, Mitiguy, Paul, Waldron, Kenneth John, "A Unified Method for Multi-Body Systems Subject to Stick-Slip Friction and Intermittent Contact", 2008 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Nice France, Sept.22-26 2008.
- Wren, Tishya A. L., and Mitiguy, Paul C., "A Simple Method to Obtain Consistent and Clinically Meaningful Pelvic Angles from Euler Angles during Gait Analysis", Journal of Applied Biomechanics. Vol. 23, No. 3, 2007, pp. 28-223.
- Fong, J.T., Mitiguy, P.C., and Taber, L.A., eds. (2005), Applied Mechanics and Multi-Physics Simulations of High-Consequence Engineering Systems, Proc. Symp. In honor of Professor C.R. Steeele, April 18, 2005, Stanford University, Stanford, CA. Published by Stanford Mechanics Alumni Club (SMAC), c/o Division of Mechanics & Computation, Stanford University, Durand 262, Stanford, CA 94305-4040 (2005).
- Clark, Jonathan, Provancher, William, Mitiguy, Paul, "Theory, Simulation, and Hardware: Lab Design for an Integrated Systems Dynamics Education", Proceedings of IMECE2005, 2005 ASME Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Orlando FL, Nov. 5-11 2005.
- Mitiguy, Paul and Woo, Michael, "A Controversial Study of the Aerodynamics of a Baseball", Proceedings of the 5th ASME International Conference on Multi-body Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics, and Control, Long Beach CA, Sept. 24-28 2005. Also presented at AAPT American Association of Physics Teachers, Sacramento CA; August 2, 2004.
- Wren, T.A.L., Mitiguy P.C., "Calculating clinical pelvic angles from Euler angles using the conventional gait model", Gait and Clinical Movement Analysis Society Annual Meeting, Lexington, KY, April 23, 2004.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Woo, M.K., Interactive Physics Curriculum, MSC.Software, May 2003, 77 pgs.
- Mitiguy, Paul, "Input/Output - Life without Mechanical Engineering", Mechanical Engineering (ASME magazine),, Vol. 125, No. 10, Oct. 2002, pg. 88.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Banerjee A.K., "Constraint Force Algorithm for Formulating Equations of Motion", Proceedings of the First Asian Conference on Multibody Dynamics, Sept. 2002, pp. 606-608.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Reckdahl, K.J.,"Efficient Dynamics for Systems Involving Gyrostats", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics, Vol. 24, No. 6, November-December 2001, pp. 1144-1156.
- Sheehan, F. T. and Mitiguy, P. (1999) In regards to the "ISB recommendations for standardization in the reporting of kinematic data." Journal of Biomechanics, 32:1135-6
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Banerjee, A.K., "Efficient Simulation of Motions Involving Coulomb Friction", Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics. Vol. 22, No. 1, January-February 1999, pp. 78-86.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Reckdahl, K.J., "The Definition of Product of Inertia", Working Model Technical Paper, June 1998.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Banerjee, A.K., "Efficient Simulation of Motions Involving Coulomb Friction", First Symposium on Multibody Dynamics and Vibrations, Paper 65286: DETC97/VIB-4202, Sept. 15-17 1997, Sacramento CA.
- Banerjee, A.K., and Mitiguy, P.C., "Kane's Checking Function: Modifications and Use in the Integration of Dynamical Equations", Presented at the AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Controls Conference, Aug 19 1997.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Kane, T.R., "Motion Variables Leading to Efficient Equations of Motion", International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 15, No. 5, Oct. 1996, pp. 522-532.
- Mitiguy, P.C., and Banerjee, A.K., "Determination of Spring Constants for Modeling Flexible Beams", Working Model Technical Paper, June 1996.
- Reckdahl, K.J., and Mitiguy, P.C., Autolev Tutorial, OnLine Dynamics Inc., Sunnyvale CA, March 12, 1996.
- Banerjee, A.K., and Mitiguy, P.C., "Unified Computation of Stick-Slide Friction: Application to Rattlebacks, Tops, and Journal Bearings", Proceedings of AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Controls Conference, Paper 95-3350, Aug 7-10 1995, pp. 1616-1622, Baltimore MD.
- Reckdahl, K.J., and Mitiguy, P.C., "Working Model's Numerical Integration", Working Model Technical Note, DOC #WMTN15, Aug. 1995.
- Mitiguy, P.C., "Formulation of Equations of Motion via Constraint Forces", Working Model Technical Paper, May 1995.
- Mitiguy, P.C., Efficient Formulation and Solution of Equations of Motion, Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, 1995.
Just for fun: Hyperlinks for Paul Mitiguy
- NY Times: Word Play Science Puzzle - which way will it roll
- NY Times: A diploma then NFL draft (Andrew Luck)
- NY Post: Question/answer with Andrew Luck
- Facebook: Interactive Physics and Football
- April Fools at Stanford
- Flipped classrooms and distance learning
- Piazza: An interactive online learning environment